Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Jonathan, Jonathan, Jonathan - Who's on First, What's on Second ...and Third

I have found a mistake that I made earlier on Family Matters. I feel confident that it is only one of many, but it is one that I've discovered. In an earlier posting I gave a will of Jonathan Jones (the one that was in the American Revolution). On reading it again, I realized it was probated in 1804 and the name of his wife seemed incorrect. Finally, I have drawn a chart of the men named Jonathan Jones and I can see that the 1835 will we copied should be "Revolutionary Jonathan's" and the one I published was that of his father who died in 1804. I have removed the 1804 will and put the correct will in Family Matters for Revolutionary Jonathan. I had also said that the line goes Minnie Lee Jones, Jeptha L.D. Jones, William Jones, Jonathan, and Jonathan. Now I believe we should add a third Jonathan. That is the Jonathan that died in 1804. If you think you're confused, consider my current headache and eye twitch!


If that's not enough, I've suddenly begun to question what documentation I have that proves William Jones (Jeptha's father) is the son of the Jonathan Jones who lived in Heard County, Georgia. I would really like for what I publish on the Family Matters site to be correct, so I've decided that I need to review the proofs I have gathered that indicate William is the son of the third Jonathan. I have not seen a census that shows William living in the same household as Jonathan. The records (wills, etc.) in Heard County from the time of the third Jonathan's death were burned in a fire there in Heard County (as per museum coordinator in Heard County Historical Center and Museum). The censuses done during the years William was a boy living at home list only the head of household's name.
Here is some of the information that does document William being Jonathan's son. In the 1850 census from Heard County, Georgia, William Joseph Jones, age 20, is the very next entry after Jonathan Jones(45), born in South Carolina, wife Elizabeth(55). Being the very next entry connotes that William lived next to Jonathan or maybe even had another dwelling on Jonathan's land. Because William was given a separate entry, however, I do not think he lived in the house with Jonathan. In the 1870 census, William's birthplace is listed as South Carolina, like Jonathan's.
Another clue is that William named his children the same as at least two persons in Jonathan's family. That is, among William's children are the following names, Jonathan and Margaret. It is interesting to note here that Margaret was listed as deaf on several censuses. She must have been greatly loved by the family because not only did William name one of his children Margaret, but the name was repeated by Jeptha L.D. who also named a daughter Margaret, a.k.a. Maggie, Minnie's sister.
If any persons who read this have other documentation regarding William's link to Jonathan, I would greatly appreciate hearing. You could post it in the comments section. I do, personally, believe William is Jonathan's son.

1 Comments:

At 5:01 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I believe that your Jonathan b. 1804 in Chester, SC was married to my ggggggreat aunt Margaret Wylie Barr. You speculated that Margaret May have been a sister of Jonathan, I believe she was his first wife. I have a land record naming her and Jonathan as well as her two Barr sisters And their husbands. The girls had one brother Matthew Alexander Barr who was my ggggggrand father. Their mother was named Ann and their father was John Barr, possibly an immigrant from Ireland. If you are interested I will be glad to share more on this line. I am stuck trying to learn about John and Ann’s parentage.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home